STD is a sexually transmitted disease that is caused by STI i.e. sexually transmitting infections. The severity and gravity of STD depends upon the type of bacteria, virus or protozoa that has caused it. Some of the most commonly occurring STDs in men and women are:
- Chlamydia: Bacterial STD. It is transmitted through vaginal, oral or anal sex with someone already infected with this STI.
- Gonorrhea: Bacterial infection. It affects anus, urethra or throat. It is also transmitted through vaginal, oral or anal sex with someone already infected with this STI.
- Hepatitis B: It is the form of hepatitis that is caused by HBV i.e. Hepatitis B Virus.
- Herpes (Simplex): it is a viral infection. It is caused by HSV i.e. Herpes Simplex Virus.
- Human Papillomavirus: it is cause by HPV which is a group of viruses with 150 strains. 40 strains among them are potentially harmful.
- Syphilis: it is bacterial STD. It usually is transmitted through anal oral or vaginal sex. It is a serious STD because it is linked to HIV.
- Trichomoniasis: Women become victims of this STD more than men do. It is caused by a tiny parasite.
- HIV/AIDS: HIV causes AIDS. It passes from person to person through body fluids like semen, vaginal fluids and breast milk.
Some of the common STD SYMPTOMS include:
- Painful Urination: happens in Chlamydia and Gonorrhea.
- Lower Abdominal Pain: happens in Chlamydia and Gonorrhea.
- Penile Discharge and Swollen Testicles in Men: This happens in Chlamydia.
- Loss of Appetite: People suffering from Hepatitis B can face loss of appetite.
- Feeling Lethargic: They can also feel lethargic without any hard work.
- Low Grade Fever: Constant low grade fever may also be experienced.
- Muscle and Joint Pains and Aches: Acute pains in muscles and joints are a common STD symptom for people infected with Hepatitis B.
- Nausea: Nausea is another common symptom among them.
- Vomiting: Vomiting after eating anything can also occur.
- Jaundice: People suffering with Hepatitis B STI are most likely to get yellow jaundice with dark urine as well.
- Tingling, aching or burning of skin: where the blusters will appear like penis, testicles, buttocks, thighs, lips tongue, gums,
- Aching Muscles in Lower Back and Knees:
- Genital Warts: occurs by HPV. These are flesh colored clusters of tiny bumps that look like cauliflowers.
- Warts in Mouth and Throat: Happens in HPV if the partner in oral sex was already infected.
- Appearance of Sore: A small and painless sore appears on the body part from where the Syphilis bacteria entered in the body like lips, anus and penis.
- Sore Throat and Headache: Any person infected with Syphilis bacteria may also suffer sore throat, headache, tiredness and swollen lymph nodes.
- Smelly and Clear Vaginal Discharge: Only 30% of women suffering with trichomoniasis suffer its symptoms like itching and burning genitals. A smelly, clear yellowish, greenish or white vaginal discharge may also occur.
- Vague Symptoms of HIV/AIDS: AIDS shows the vaguest among all of the STD symptoms like flu, muscle ache, weight loss and diarrhea etc.
If any of these symptoms appear in any person, he/she must get STD testing done from a STD clinic. Remember that precaution is always better than cure.